WINTER Weather Tips
Winter Weather Tips
In 2021, winter storms in Texas led to hundreds of thousands of insurance claims and billions of dollars in damage. We have two great articles to read about how to safeguard your home. Here are steps you can take to protect your home and property from winter storm damage.
- Wrap outdoor pipes or pipes in unheated areas like your garage or shop.
- Let faucets drip from the cold and hot taps.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to let the heat in
- If your pipes do freeze, turn off the water at the shut off valve. This will help prevent leaking or water damage once the pipes thaw.
- Check Flashlight batteries.
- Have First aid kits ready.
- Check emergency heat sources like your fireplace and wood stoves to make sure they are in working order.
- Make sure you have extra fuel for your vehicle or tractor.
- Check your animals. Many may need extra food and water during cold weather. Bring them inside if able.